Wednesday, November 24, 2010

November 9, 2010

Querida familia,

Buenos días! Everything is going great here in Escondido. The weather has really cooled down, so it has been in the 50s and 60s and sunny all this week. We had stake conference with President Haynie last Sunday, so that was a lot of fun--President and Sister Cook came and spoke. We have our Primary Program this Sunday, and we have a surprise visitor coming for our Church services--Elder L. Whitney Clayton, of the Presidency of the Seventy. Apparently he is in our area, and he was given a choice of wards to attend, and he picked the Las Posas ward! (We got a text from our zone leaders telling us to make sure we are on time and we look sharp. I assume that also means don't do anything dumb). So in district meeting I told our district to try and get as many baptisms as possible on the 20th so we can have a line of people getting confirmed on the 21st (just kidding).

Everything is going great. Unfortunately, I didn't get to eat any more chapulinas last night, but I did get to eat some napale (cactus), which was pretty good too. We also had a small miracle when we were tracting last week. As sort of background information, Elder Snyder always used my Spanish hymnbook because he lost his long before I got to the mission (and his previous companion's as well; he later lost mine as well). Well, the other day when Elder Silva and I were tracting, we had just gotten rejected at a house of English-speakers (in an area where Elder Snyder and I had barely ever gone), when we spotted in the garden at this house a little green book, covered in mud and wet from rain. When we picked it up, we found Elder Snyder's name on it. I have no idea how that hymnbook ended up in that random person's garden, but it was interesting.

José and Yesenia are doing amazing! Ever since he came to church the first time two weeks ago, he has developed an addiction to the Book of Mormon. He's in 1 Nefi 17, and says he will get baptized when it's his time. Yesenia, his wife, wants to get baptized, so hopefully we can have her baptismal service on the 20th. They are a great family, and have been feeding us a lot of amazing food (although yesterday, they jokingly told us that they decided to just never get baptized so that we don't stop visiting them). Hopefully we can baptize one or two of their kids as well. We also found an amazing new investigator who is a single mom who went to both the Catholic and Lutheran churches at one time but didn't like either and loved the 1st lesson that we taught her. Everything is going great.

Unfortunately, transfers are coming up again. This Friday or Saturday we will get the transfer calls telling us whether we are staying or going. I know that I am going to have to go somewhere else eventually, but I'm really hoping for just one more transfer in Las Posas so that I can spend Christmas here. It feels like my home. Unfortunately, the longer I stay here and the better I get to know the ward and the people here, the more at risk I am of getting moved. Oh well. I know I will be just as attached to my next area, too.

Well, that is all for now. Thanks for the letters and e-mails. Enjoy your day!

Sincerely,
Elder Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment