Sunday, October 31, 2010

October 26, 2010

Querida familia,

Everything is going absolutely amazing here. The heat has finally left, and it has been in the 60s all week. Today is 60 and sunny, so it is basically an amazing day in California. We've been eating a lot of great food, and we even got to help someone vacuum their carpet this week (the boiler in their garage exploded and got everything wet).

Everything is going great with the family I wrote about last week. We were having trouble helping her progress towards baptism, but since the ward helped her and invited her to the Family Home Evening and everything, it's a whole new story. She came to church again (second week in a row), went to a Family Home Evening at the Primary president's house, and her daughter and the Primary President's daughter are basically best friends. Everyone in our ward loves their family. The smallest little boy (1.5 year old) in that family, Bryan, has become my best friend as well. Whenever we go over to their house, as soon as I come in the gate (it's almost like he senses me come in), he goes running to get me a chair, and he pulls the chair over to where I am (sometimes, I'm just barely closing the front gate to the yard). After I sit down, he runs (literally, runs--it's like an emergency to him) inside and grabs me a can of Sprite, and then runs with every ounce of energy he has to give it to me. After he gets me all that, he calms down a little and pulls up a chair next to me and sits down. (Note: he never gets Elder Silva anything, which is perhaps the funniest part of all). Last night at the Family Home Evening, he kicked his mom and older sister off the coach and then made me sit by him.

My companion just had the wreck of the century this morning--I guess his brakes locked up or something, because we were stopping at an intersection, and all of a sudden he flew off his bike and landed face-first, and even slid a few feet down the street. A lady who saw it was really concerned about him, and I was laughing so hard. He was laying face-down in the middle of the intersection like he was dead, with his bike in a heap behind him, and his missionary nametag and his pass-along cards and his pen scattered around him on the street. He wasn't hurt, but it was hilarious. I'm laughing as I'm typing this.

My first week as a district leader has been busy. I guess my days of having time at night to write in my journal and eat snacks are basically gone--I've been having to call people every night and fill out reports. I've been having to do exchanges with a couple elders in our district, and I have been amazed (shocked) at how much paper work is involved in being a district leader. My head has been spinning all this week, but it has also been a lot of fun. At the very least, (since I got assigned in the middle of a transfer and didn't go to the new district leader training meeting they have at the beginning of the transfer), the Zone Leaders came and gave me training in my apartment, and (best of all) brought In-N-Out.

Well, that's all for now. Enjoy your week!

Sincerely,
Elder Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment