Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dear Family,
I believe I am on week 4 (correct me if I am wrong). I still love it here. Although, I have to admit, I wouldn't mind getting called out to the mission field early (we have an elder in our zone whose mission needed another elder right away, so he only stayed here three weeks). Although I'm learning a lot and becoming a lot better at Spanish, and I like all the classes and devotionals and firesides, I wouldn't mind being able to go to the mission field early. I'm really excited to actually be able to teach people and do real missionary work. But, the MTC is a lot of fun and you can feel the Spirit a lot, so it's definitely not a bad place to be.
We have had some more funny Spanish mistakes, as well. The other day I was teaching a practice lesson about the Plan of Salvation to a teacher, trying to say that when we are resurrected, we will have bodies of flesh and bones ("cuerpos de carne y huesos") and I accidentally said that we will have bodies of meat and eggs ("cuerpos de carne y huevos"). It was pretty funny. But the other elders in my district have had their fair shares of embarassment as well. We have been trying to focus on asking questions that help the investigator think about the lesson and feel the Spirit (For instance, "Do you think God loves you? Why?"). Elder Arrowchis, an elder in my district, during a practice lesson, asked the teacher, "Quiere gozo en su vida?" (Do you want joy in your life?) And she said "Sí" (Yes), and then he answered, "Yo también" (Me too). And that was it for his question. It was pretty funny.
But overall, my Spanish is coming along great. I can read Predicad Mi Evangelio (Preach My Gospel) and the scriptures in Spanish, so what else could I ask for? I wouldn't mind being able to talk as fast as a native, but I'm sure that will come with time and practice.

Well, enjoy your week and I will talk to you all next Tuesday!

Elder Gibbons
P.S. If you didn't already notice, the 28 dollars that I had spent at the MTC bookstore on my card was on: cases for the Spanish scriptures that they gave me, a big binder for my journal, and some extra paper (and some more white shirt laundry Resolve stick).

No comments:

Post a Comment